The Flower Garden
The Flower Garden was designed and laid out in 1931 by the London County Council, the then owners of Kennington Park. It followed the designs of the late Lieutenant Colonel J J Sexby (Chief Officer of the Parks Department of the London County Council) for a traditional Old English cottage flower garden. It had a small fountain, pergola, sundial, shelter and York stone paths. There are a number of other Sexby flower gardens in South London including Brockwell Park.
Over the years, the Flower Garden became overgrown and neglected and in 2012 the Friends of Kennington Park started the fundraising process that ended with a substantial grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Working in partnership with Lambeth Council, the Flower Garden was restored and re-planted, a new sundial was erected and a water feature added, opening in July 2015. Alongside Lambeth Council and Lambeth Landscapes, teams of volunteer gardeners maintain what is now a popular, colourful and well visited part of the park.